- Steve joined the Rotary Club of Arcadia in 1974.
- He joined the Rotary Club of San Marino in 1983
- Steve served as president of the Rotary Club of San Marino in 1989-90.
- He served the District as Foundation Dinner Chairman and Rotary Information Chairman in 1990,
- He was the District 5300 RYLA Chairman in 1991,
- He was Governor’s aide and District Newsletter Editor 1992-1993,
- Steve was the District Governor in 1994-1995 for District 5300, Rotary International.
- Steve was instrumental in the formation of the Rotary Club of Sierra Madre in 1997 and was a member from 1997 to 2005.
- Budget Committee Chairman 1996-1997,
- District Conference Chairman 1998–1999
- Practical Rotary Leadership (PRLS) Chairman for 1999-2000,
- District Foundation Chairman for 2000-2002 & District Trainer for 2008-09.
- Steve Garretthas served as an Instructor to the 1991, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 Southern California and Nevada President Elect Training Seminar (PETS).
- He was the Instruction Chairman for the 1996 Southern Californiaand Nevada President Elect Training Seminar.
- Steve Garretthas served as an Instructor to the Governor Elect Training for Zones 23 & 24 in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2006.
- He was a facilitator at the Rotary International RYLA Workshop in 1999 and chaired Rotarian RYLA Regional Workshop in 2000, 2001, 2002 and 2003.
- He was a member of the Rotary International RYLA Committee for 2001-2002.
- As District Governor he was instrumental in creating the first Interact Symposium and has stayed active in this regional event.
- He was the chair of the Rotary Rose Float Committee for the 2001 Tournament of Roses Parade.
- He was a member of the Rotary Club of Arcadia from 2005 to 2010..
- He received the The Rotary Foundation District Service Award in 1992, The Rotary Foundation Citation for Meritorious Service in 2002, and The Rotary Foundation Distinguished Service Award in 2006.
- Steve Garrett represented R.I. President Frank Devlyn to the District 6170 Conference in Hot Springs,Arkansasin 2001.
- Steve Garrett represented R.I. President Beechai Rattakul to the District 7330 Conference in,Gettysburg,PAin 2003.
- Steve Garrett represented R.I. President Glenn Estess to the District 5790 inReno,Nevadain 2005.
- Steve Garrett represented R.I. President Bill Boyd to the District 5970 inNacogdoches,Texasin 2007.
- Steve Garrett has been a keynote speaker at numerous Rotary Club meetings, District Assemblies, District Conferences, RYLA programs, Rotary International Convention workshop and other Rotary training events.
- He returned to the Rotary Club of San Marino in 2011
Other Community ACtivities:
He is a founder and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Guided Discoveries, a not for profit, 501©3, Corporation incorporated in 1978 in the state of California, that operates the Catalina Island Marine Institute, Astro Camp and the Tole Mour tall ship.
Boy Scouts of America
A 25-year volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America, Steve served in numerous capacities from Scoutmaster to Vice-Chairman of the San Gabriel Valley Council. He was honored by the Council as a recipient of the Silver Beaver Award.